Monday 2 June 2014

Milk by P.J. Monroe

This morning, I received an absolutely fantastic piece of flash fiction that's kept a smile on my face all day. The idea is so simple, yet so cunning. I love the humour and the simplicity of the language. It's one of those pieces where I think, "Damn it, why didn't I come up with that?!"


“May I have a glass of milk, please?”
“Excuse me?” I asked.
“May I have a glass of milk, please?” she repeated.
I was quite surprised. My cat had never before said a single word in English, let alone a complete sentence. I did the only thing I could do; I got her a glass of milk. I put the milk down in front of her. She dipped her paw in the glass and licked the milk off of it. I kept looking at her, my mouth wide open.
“No opposable thumbs,” she said, after seeing I was still staring at her.

If you want to see where this is going, you can find the complete story by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I was looking up this piece to show it to one of my students and there was your post! Thank you so much for reading my story and sharing it. I can't tell you how much that means to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete